Modizer v1.5

v1.5 is available on the appstore.
Feedback/comments are welcomed.

Here is the changes list:

[Improvements]
- Settings: now a single setting for default length (in Player settings menu).
- Pmdmini: new playback library supporting japanese PC-9801 computer.
- AOSDK/DSF: optimized playback using a 22KHz output.
- Coverflow: add of a basic interface.
- MODLAND: updated with latest entries (22/01/2012).
- HVSC: update to #56.
[BugFixes]
- AOSDK playback: issue fixed in file decoding, was preventing playback of dsf, ssf, sqf, psf2, ... files.
- french translations: issues fixed.
- File browser: directories with a '.' in their name were detected as files.
- Infinite loop mode: fixed issue with Modplug & UADE.
- Coverflow: fixed issue with covert art not being loaded.
- Player: removed click that could be heard sometime at end of song.
- Player: fixed issue with infinite loop in Modplug & UADE.
- Player: fixed a pattern break issue with Modplug.
- Global: lots of minor bug fixes.
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

First of all I want to say thanks for continuing to support this great app.

I have noticed a possible bug with 1.5 though.
I am unable to play Modizer in the background any more. I tried changes the settings
And it doesn't seem to affect it. About 75% of the time when I have a tune playing and back out of the app to check email, etc... The music stops playing. This used to work perfectly for me in Modizer 1.4 also.

I am using an iPod Touch 4G w iOS 1.5.1 installed and I'm playing songs that are on the iPod (local browser).

I would also love to have a way to sort my local songs by system type. For example:
SNES/ Donkey Kong Country, Mario World
GEN/Sonic 1, Golden Axe
C64/Ghouls N Ghosts, and so on...

The closest way I've come up with is to RAR each type into its own archive,
But this is a very slow process to play them back, not to mention many don't work from RAR'D files such as the
GBA.

Thanks again!

Re: Modizer v1.5

hi Spoonman,

I received your email but had no time to answer it before. So let's just use the forum as it might also help other people :-)
I tried to reproduce what you describe on my iphone 3GS (ios 5.0.1) with no luck: for me it works as in v1.4

Could you give me more details:
- iOS version: 5.0.1 ?  (1.5.1 ??)
- what file raised the issue (file name or at least type of file (spc, vgz, mod, s3m, nsf, ...) ) ?
- is your iphone jailbroken ?
- are there any specific software running in background ?
- maybe it is link to a crash, so could you send me your crashlog ?

rgds,
ym
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

Hello,

Sorry, I was typing that while half asleep. :P
I'll provide some better and more accurate details below!

iOS version: 5.0.1 (sorry for the typo)

what file raised the issue (file name or at least type of file (spc, vgz, mod, s3m, nsf, ...) ) ?
It was on a few different file types; SPC, VGZ (Rar'd), MOD files within a RAR seem to
cause it to crash more than anything else. It's a 9.52MB RAR file with 94 MOD songs inside.

- is your iphone jailbroken ? No. It's running the official Apple firmware + iOS 5.0.1.
It's an iPod Touch 4, 8GB and I have about 1GB free.

- are there any specific software running in background ?
Not that I know of. I only start Modizer and then back out to start either Safari or Facebook.

- maybe it is link to a crash, so could you send me your crashlog ?
It is a crash since it shuts down completely and then on restart shows me this: WARNING
First launch or issue encountered last time Modizer was running. Apply default settings?

I don't see where it stores the Crashlog though. All I see is a database file
database.modizerdb, which is 116KB. If you let me know I will try and provide it for you.

So would it be possible to sort the local files into folders based on their system type?
I'd like to keep my files separated for SNES/GEN/GBA/GB/TG16/C64, and so on.

Thanks again for the help.
Snyderman Snyderman

Re: Modizer v1.5

I actually found a similar crashing bug on the iPhone 4. I was playing the Donkey Kong Country 3 GSF archive and when songs are past track B (tracks are hex numbered), it crashed when not actively playing. Tracks 0-9 and A and B play fine in the background but C onwards crash if you quit out to the iPhone home or standby mode.

I was able to duplicate the bug very easily.

I am on 5.0.1, using Modizer 1.5. The file is in a 7zip archive.

Re: Modizer v1.5

thanks for the detailed feedback: I could also reproduced the bug and identify a bug (linked to the settings save function used when going into background playback mode).
the correction will be included in v1.6

c-Row c-Row

Re: Modizer v1.5

The only issue I ran into was Modizer crashing when I tried to delete a directory while local browsing. Don't know if I can reproduce it, though.
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

Same here. It seems to crash it when trying to delete one of the default dirs.
I tried to delete the included /Samples directory and it crashed. I was able to delete all of the files, but
it still won't let me delete the empty Samples directory without crashing the app.
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

Will there be any way (in Modizer 1.6) to sort your local files into folders based on their system type?
I'd like to keep my files separated for SNES/GEN/GBA/GB/TG16/C64, and so on.

I tried renaming them with the system type in the header, but now it takes forever to scroll through since the letter jumping scroll becomes useless.

Re: Modizer v1.5

Hi Spoonman,
I understand your request, but it's not easy to add such kind of features without raising next questions...

Today for ex, files downloaded through hvsc or modland collections are already sorted.

Should I allow to move all the files ? Should I keep existing subdirectories ? Should I allow to select
the directories to sort ?

I'll try to find something useful but it's not as simple as to create directories (snes, c64, ...) and move the
files.
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

Hello,
For some reason I am unable to log in to reply.
It keeps telling me my password is wrong even though it is not.
I even has it requested just to make sure and it was exactly what I was typing..... Weird. I'll try again later.

Sent from my iPod

On Feb 12, 2012, at 11:34 AM, "yoyofr [via MODIZER]" <[hidden email]> wrote:

Hi Spoonman,
I understand your request, but it's not easy to add such kind of features without raising next questions...

Today for ex, files downloaded through hvsc or modland collectoin are already sorted.

Should I allow to move all the files ? Should I keep existing subdirectories ? Should I allow to select
the directories to sort ?

I'll try to find something useful but it's not as simple as to create directories (snes, c64, ...) and move the
files.

http://modizer.988727.n3.nabble.com/Modizer-v1-5-tp3727758p3737581.html
To unsubscribe from Modizer v1.5, click here.
NAML
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

Ok, so it looks like I can reply via email and have it show on the forum which works for me. :)

I understand it's probably a lot of hard work to get the directories on local files implemented, but I do think it would be a very worthwhile endeavor if you could at some point in the future.

So do most users of Modizer not store and play local files?
I like to have quite a lot of game soundtracks on my iPod touch and sorting through them becomes an issue. Especially when you have the same game for multiple systems. I.E. Rock & Roll Racing for both the SNES and GEN.

If the directory construction is too hard, would it be possible to have Modizer inspect the files and determine which system they are? If so, maybe it could display a different icon or some other visual clue "SPC, VGM, NSF"... And then let you group those together . So when scrolling through using the letter skip on the right side it would be faster to find the game you are looking for.

Thanks
c-Row c-Row

Re: Modizer v1.5

My crash happened when I tried to delete a non-default dir, but one that was converted from the 1.4 database.
Sappharad Sappharad

Re: Modizer v1.5

Can't you organize your music into folders for each system yourself? That's what I did on my phone.

Just start the FTP server from settings, connect using your computer with an FTP client (Cyberduck is a good free one) and move the files into folders with that. The app handles subdirectories just fine, you just can't create them directly on the device.
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

Any news on an update?

Would it be possible to store the songs on the iCloud?
I still have the full 5GB free on there and don't really have any other use for it.

Also a way to make directories for the different formats via iTunes and instead of only being able to do this with an FTP client would be great.

Thanks!

Re: Modizer v1.5

Hi,

sorry for the late answer. The answer to your 2 questions is simple: Apple does not allow it.
Since the files are not created by the user but downloaded from either online repo, web sites or from your computer (using ftp or iTunes file sharing), Apple consider you should not backup them on iCloud
because you already have another way to recover them in case of device issue.
For iTunes file sharing and directories support, I strongly support your request but once again it's Apple choice not to allow it (yet?)...

v1.7 will be available in a couple of weeks (not so much freetime now and I'm putting the focus on iFBA).
spoonman spoonman

Re: Modizer v1.5

No problem. I appreciate the reply and realize you are busy with other projects.

I know this is going to sound extremely noobish ( :P ), but can you install Cydia
onto an iPod Touch (4G/5.1) without Jailbreaking it?

I'm familiar with soft-modding systems such as the Xbox, Wii, PSP, etc.. but I also know doing that
causes issues for when you want to play by the rules. Since I like to support App makers (such as you)

I don't want a way to download apps for free, but I am very interested in iFBA mostly because
I can't stand playing classic arcade games with a touch control and companies such as Capcom/Namco/Sega don't seem to want to support products like the iCade.

Thanks again for your time and help,
VGO