SA2 Inaccuracies

rothn rothn

SA2 Inaccuracies

Files such as hydra-downtown.sa2 (in this Amiga archive) have incorrect high-frequency sounds. I have noticed several other sa2 inaccuracies, and was wondering if I may be of any assistance to you in fixing them.

nicholas

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

Hi, I'll check your archive. .sa2 playback is handled by adplug and I'm not sure it is accurate / surprise! Adlib tracker. Do you know where I can hear an accurate version to compare with modizer playback ? (youtube / software I can install on macos or windows / ...)
rothn rothn

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

XMPlay is a good player, and you can use AdPlug (for winamp, but works with XMPlay too) by putting the dll in the Plugins folder. That will give you accurate playback. Also, if you want to play it in modizer, just do a search for downtown.mod and select the one that says Protracker/Chris/downtown.mod. The reason I don't just use that one is that the instruments are all wrong.

Furthermore, note that you can come up with some pretty cool songs just by searching for downtown.

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

  I think what could help me a lot would be to do a mp3, ogg, wav or youtube version of the playback you are expecting so I can easily compare with a validated accurate version ;-)

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

  Small update : I did a comparative listening between modizer & a youtube video of "book.sa2" recorded on a real opl2 chipset => it sounds the same!
  Are you sure modizer playback is not accurate?
  If you compare a .mod file with a .sa2 for sure you will have some differencies since .sa2 is fm synthesis based & .mod are sample based.
rothn rothn

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

I am very sure; I opened up WinAmp with my AdPlug.dll plugin to play that very same song, and it sounded right, while your software omits many of the higher-frequency sounds. I believe it is a filter issue, and not one in AdPlug.

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

  Ok, I've just done some test during breakfast and it seemed to sound better after changing some adplug
parameters. Basically I changed the opl type emulated by adplug from generic OPL to Adlib OPL2 ...
rothn rothn

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

Will these changes be in an update soon?

Re: SA2 Inaccuracies

Yes ;-)